Educational institutions, from primary schools to universities, send and receive important and confidential documents, ranging from purchase orders, school registrations and student records. School districts and universities have centralized and localized administrative departments that handle accounting, purchasing, financial and student information for their entire organization. This means that large volumes of highly sensitive data are exchanged throughout educational institutions every day. And security threats are an ever-growing problem. As a result, protecting this data has become a primary concern.
Today, the weakest link in the entire information exchange process is the email. In fact, if educational institutions stopped using emails to send sensitive information, a significant source of security threats would be vastly reduced. Email technology is easy to use, but it doesn’t adequately address current security requirements.
Alternative solutions for secure document exchange, such as electronic signatures and encrypted email software, do exist. But they are generally complex to implement and less than user-friendly. However, there is a proven solution that is secure, easy to use and creates documents that are almost impossible to intercept. That solution is the fax.
Despite what some people may think, the fax is still a critical component of an information exchange system. Fax solutions have evolved significantly in recent years and are now software based, leveraging Internet networks (FoIP), which allow you to send and receive confidential faxes by email.
7 reasons why Fax-over-IP (FoIP) should be part of your IT infrastructure
1.It keeps student records safe
College and university officials have to deal with a host of potential threats. Illegally accessing student information to change grades or destroy proprietary school information must be prevented. With state-of-the-art FoIP technology, faculty and administrators can easily and securely transmit student records. They can also effectively track the delivery of a document and securely forward fax messages to their staffs for quick and appropriate action.
2. It is a highly reliable tool
FoIP supports diverse survivability deployment models ranging from high availability to disaster recovery and remote branch survivability which ensure the integrity and availability of your fax data.
3. It frees up time for what matters most
Troubleshooting and maintaining an institution’s fax machines is a challenging and time-consuming activity for an IT department. FoIP simplifies faxing by integrating seamlessly with the current telephony environment, reducing the technical support time IT spends on fax issues.
4. It adapts to your school’s requirements in a heartbeat
Because FoIP is a software solution, new fax channels can easily be added to increase fax volume capacity during specific busy periods. This high degree of scalability helps educational institutions accommodate evolving requirements.
5. It can help you save thousands of dollars per year
Today’s FoIP technology reduces the number of phone lines and the need to print on paper, which in turn reduces toner and machine maintenance costs, enabling organizations to potentially save tens of thousands of dollars per year. Reducing paper files also lessens the need for real estate in which to store those files.
6. It centralizes solutions and makes them accessible from anywhere
FoIP technology allows student record transmission in real time, and is accessible from anywhere and from any device. IT departments can centralize all types of fax documents throughout schools and districts and among all stakeholders.
7. It helps you comply with industry legislation and best practices
Built-in advanced user and administration control, management and encryption features support compliance requirements such as the FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) on the protection of students’ privacy with regards to educational records.
Product Highlights of XM Fax® for Education Institutions
XMedius has extensive experience integrating their fax solutions with financial and student information systems.
- Business processes are streamlined by integrating XM Fax® with existing VoIP infrastructures, applications, groupware tools, IP PBXs, voicemail systems and multifunction Printers (MFPs)
- XM Fax® has also been integrated with a range of third-party software and is recognized as the most reliable and mature IP fax solution on the market.
- In multi-branch organizations, long-distance charges are drastically reduced through XM Fax®’s built-in Least Cost Routing (LCR)
- Faxes are routed over telephone lines, Internet, Intranet, WAN and LAN environments. Inbound faxes are directed to the appropriate destination without human intervention to limit unauthorized access to personal client information.
- Monitoring and reporting features create an audit trail of all sent and received faxes.
- XM Fax® is powered by the most advanced T.38 FoIP integration for VoIP platforms.
- XM Fax® helps reduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of a fax infrastructure by eliminating fax machines, phone lines and the associated supply and maintenance costs.
- XM Fax® has won numerous awards in the IP telephony space. By combining XM Fax® with your multifunction printers (MFPs) we can enhance and provide an enriched faxing solution for educational institutions.
Interested in Fax-over-IP solutions for your educational institution?
Read our case study with University of Montreal here